last time i had just ordered my wings….
Well they came and they were well worth the money and the decision to buy not build. There has been lots of work on the boat since last time with at least an hour every evening and most of every day off working on it. Theres no other boat distraction on the sence as the ninja has now been sold. I decided to sell the boat with the foils and get new ones for Luna, but I’m getting ahead of myself…
So the wings turned up and with a bit of advice from Phil (Atomik) and Simon Maguire, i set to cutting and bonding the sockets together. Cutting the sockets was the scariest exercise in the whole process, if they were cut wrong it would have been a case of buying more and starting again. So i made a cutting jig and taped the tube into it as tight as possible so it would not move, luckily it worked so then i had to glue them together.This lead to me pining them together on a wooden board with screws so they could be set in place and held while it was setting. Once this was set then the carbon wrapping began.
Now was time to start cutting the hull to take the sockets. I knew where i wanted the front of the wing bars to be so i started there, drawing the oval shape onto the hull and then cutting it out, small amounts at a time on both sides. When it was a good tight fit it was time to head back to the living room with it where i could slot all the wing assembly together and get the location of the rear sockets. Alot of measuring went on here. i had to make sure everything was staying level side to side, front to back and trying to get the right angle on the rear wing bars all at the same time. Gradually i cut down into the back of the hull to locate the wing sockets then measured some more. Everytime i get to a big point in the build i get butterflies hoping that what i am about to do will be right. I definitely had this when i was about to glue the wing sockets into the boat. I still measured more just to make sure. After the glue had set it was so exciting to pull away all the things i had propping the wings up, it was really starting to look like a moth rather than a canoe! This was all over a week or so of work, it doesn’t happen fast…
Next step i made up some more bulk heads to go under wings and glued these and a couple of others in, then tape these into the hull, so 2 layers of 2 inch wides strips ether side and also were wrapped around the inside and outside of the hull where the sockets were mounted in.
There have been other bits going on at the same time as this like making up the king post. This was quite a big job and ive been warned of the poor, abused king post area of a moth as the area that takes the punishment, this all has to be tied into the wing sockets to support all the stress and strain. With having a great big pushrod tube that runs straight throught the middle of the boat ive had to slot a high modulas sleave over the top and make some extra joints above and below to link everything together, this took along time to make sure all the curves and angles fit perfectly.
With some more bulk head sandwich material i added an extra layer to the inside top rim of the hull to A. Give a bigger bonding surface for the hull to stick to and B. To also support the single inner layer of hull that was left when i cut the outer hull layer of carbon and foam away to insert the tube to hold the tramps. This was then glued and clamped and will be wrapped once the deck is bonded on too.
The last two days have been spent finishing off the nose cone and everything under there. I have bonded a reinforcement piece which runs between the top of the bulk head and the pushrod tube all the way from the front to up against the king post making sure its all locked it tight to take the abuse. The bulk heads are in both sides of the king post and all the taping is setting in the spare room as we speek. The nose cone assembly will be permanently bonded onto the hull tomorrow, all being well. I have cut the foam to shape for the deck and bagged the inner layer of carbon on ready to trim foam away to insert my reinforement peices in before the top layers of carbon go on next.
I’m sure ive missed a few bits out of this blog, so much has been happening, as far as other equipment for the boat i have bought a ka 16 sail, ctech boom, prodder, exocet main foil, in negotiations on a cst mast, just looking for a rudder and tiller now.
Next time i write a blog i may have a complete hull for you to see. Estimated launch date is mid april.